Sunday 20 June 2010

Mark's 50 at 50 - Leg 2 maintaining fast pace


Half an hour up, Leg 2 started before darkness. I’d eaten well at the handover, but on the move it was taking me a long time to finish the food I brought with me. This was not a good sign, as I always tend to lose my appetite in long events, but I hoped that constant snacking would get me round. Alan stayed on and I was joined by Mark whose inch-perfect navigation brought us through the nighttime. Rick had the most energy and he was leading most of the leg, but we all stayed in one group throughout. I was running cautiously, to avoid falls and also to save my legs, which were not mountain hardened, for later. Gained more time on leg 2, but moved at a pace that made it hard for me to eat.
I’d not managed much training on the fells – only 4 visits to the Lakes in the previous 6 months – and so I’d adapted my training to strengthen my legs as much as possible in the gym. My training buddy, the indefatigable Charlie (seen here on Helvellyn in April) pulled me along (on his hands-free leash) for most of my steady running training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment