Saturday 19 June 2010

Mark's 50 at 50 - the Finale

In a hurry, every minute counting - about to hit the road at Stair, with less than 30 mins to go. Meanwhile in Keswick increasingly anxious friends watching the minutes tick by; wanting to do everything possible for me, they cleared a path through the Saturday afternoon Keswick market shoppers. Three miles away I must have been mentally attuned to them willing me to succeed, and I was flying.

Paul ready by the car to guide us in. What pace do you want? As fast as possible. 8 minute miles? Yes, sounds good. Fast pace for first section, but slowed to a walk on the first hill. Paul getting worried. You’ll have to really run now. Picked up speed on the descents, and through Portinscale with 10 minutes left - should be just enough. Along the Keswick streets dodging shoppers and cars. My team were stopping cars and moving people for a clear run. Final push to the Moot Hall. Touched. Stopped watch – it read 23:56.59. Too exhausted to celebrate. Flooded with relief, emotion and pride in the team.

Later that evening, final act of the day was a couple of important pints with everyone who made it possible. Making the most of the occasion. And why not?
Scarcely had the sweat dried, and I was being asked what’s your next big event? No hesitation, I said, “Nothing”, it’ll take 3 months to recover from this. The BG affects people in different ways, some can’t run for months afterwards. Well, 11 days later I found myself on the start line of the Boars Head fell race. Why not? Andy was there too; he won V40 and I won V50 – a boosted training effect, I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment