Sunday 24 April 2011

Compton 40

Hottest April day since 1949.
Mark writes - today was going to be tough for me: just avoiding dehydration and cramps was going to be a successful result; so even though I finished in 6:27 (about an hour slower than previous races here) I was fine with the time - although naturally I felt that I should have gone at least 7 mins faster to win V50. I didn't have any major collapse, but just was slow today; my only cramps were in the final mile, and about 2 mins walking seemed to help. A 2 minute lie down in Ginge Brook (at 33 miles) also helped refresh the legs.
Most of the race I was looking to stay cool - hunting for shade, and reducing pace to avoid overheating. I had 8 Nuuns and 7 salt sachets during the race, nibbled at food, but didn't eat a lot. Julian said he'd had a cup of tea at CP6.
Maybe the week in the Lakes had affected my performance? I will see in the Marlborough 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment